Saturday, October 13, 2012

I spent about 75% of my time dreaming about starting my own business.
Don't get me wrong, I love my job & the security that it brings with it and I love nursing, however a part of me if a really keen baker.  I love baking for people and I understand that baking for people, on a large scale, is obviously very stressful, but I seriously love baking stuff for people.  Seeing people's faces when they see things I've baked for them just makes it all worthwhile.
I've got into baking properly recently, over the last 2 years I've really tried hard at making nice cakes.  I think my cupcakes are at a really sellable level, I see some cupcakes on stalls in markets and I honestly think, without sounding bigheaded, that mine look better, and I would go as far as to say that they may even taste better, although I don't stop to buy cakes so I guess I shouldn't comment too much on that.

I talk to the girls about opening a business and we even came up with a name.  I think my week off this week will involve looking/google into how to start your own business, what stuff you need from a legal point of view and if you have to register your business or even the name.  I need to try and get myself out there a bit more and get my name out there.  Start small, aim big :)

Might as well spread the word a little bit by posting some of my recent bakes.

Cake for Carlene & Derek's anniversary.
Red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, covered in royal icing.

 Red velvet cupcakes to go alongside the cake.  Again with cream cheese frosting.

 Malteser chocolate brownies.  Having never made brownies before I found these quite easy.

Strawberry & almond baked cheesecake.  Again I have never made a cheesecake before so for a first attempt I didn't think it turned out too bad.  I cut out the strawberries with this cute little heart cutter that I bought a while ago in York.  I think it makes it look cute.

Some Take That inspired chocolate sponge with a fudge middle & topped with chocolate frosting cupcakes for my best friends birthday.

And finally a simple victoria sandwich that I baked for my Grandad before he sadly passed away.  This had fresh strawberries and cream in the middle as he always liked fresh strawberries in a cake.  I decorated the top with icing sugar and two hearts because he was a truely amazing man.




No comments: